Welcome to our Deaf Role Models page!
The reason behind this page is that there are a lot of Deaf Children who don’t know what they want to be when they grow up.
This is due to a lack of availability of Deaf Role Models. Some children don’t live in big cities with a large deaf community. Some children don’t get the opportunity to question Deaf Professionals. Some children self-doubt their abilities just because they’re Deaf.
So, if you’re a Deaf filmmaker, a math teacher, a hairdresser, construction worker, graphic designer, or in ANY type of profession, please contact Jesse at JesseL (at) dhhsc.org. There are different ways you can help. You can make a vlog describing your profession or take the time to Skype or Facetime with these kids so they can ask you any type of questions they may have in regards to your profession. It can be about a cool profession you once had years ago and you want to share the experience with them! This is for anyone who is interested in contributing their time with these kids. I want to show them that the opportunities, possibilities for them in the world are interminable!
Please select four or more questions to include in your presentation/vlog. Please feel free to include as much information about yourself and employment experiences as much you want. Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum.
1. Introduce yourself-Name, educational, background, mode of communication, and where are you from
2. What is your employment title and what do you do?
3. Who was your role model when you were growing up? Why?
4. What subjects helped you do the job that you do today?
5. What motivated you to choose the career that you have today?
6. Why did you choose the career that you are in?
7. What are the most important character traits you think someone should possess?
8. What is your favorite or least favorite part about your job?
9. How has your job enabled you as a person and your life?
10. What advice would you give to our students pursuing their interests, dreams and/or goals?